Disclosure: The Organic Society accepts advertising, sponsorship, affiliate links and other forms of compensation, which may or may not influence the advertising content, topics or articles written on this site. Click here for more information.
A detox is a great way to eliminate toxins from your body to improve your health and well-being. These toxins might include anything from pollutants, chemicals, pesticides and heavy metals.
There are so many ways to detox which can involve special diets, laxatives, diuretics, teas and other foods that help with releasing these toxins from the body.
As you know, food is an important part of the detox process. What you ingest plays a major role as there are good foods and bad foods and you’ll soon learn what foods can help you detox naturally.
10 Foods To Help You Detox
- Lemons. Studies have shown that lemons can help with liver function and prevent liver damage. Lemons are full of vitamin C and antioxidants and can be consumed many ways.
- Leafy greens. Basically all leafy greens provide the vitamins and minerals your body needs to help with detoxification. This includes spinach, kale, moringa, parsley just to name a few. Good for detoxing heavy metals out of your system.
- Green tea. Well, it’s not exactly a food but the active ingredients in green tea help support detox and provide other health benefits. It’s packed with antioxidants that can boost and promote healthy liver function.
- Apples. An apple a day, keeps the doctor away for great reason. Apples contain a soluble fiber called pectin that help purge toxins from the bloodstream.
- Beetroots. Great in juice or in salads, beetroots are high in antioxidants that aid in detoxification. Beetroots are also know to have anti-cancer properties like folate and b vitamins.
- Fermented Foods. Foods like kimchi and sauerkraut contain loads of good gut bacteria to aid and support healthy digestion. A powerful source of probiotics and liver enzymes that help with gut inflammation and toxicity.
- Garlic. Everyone knows garlic has great anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties and that’s why it’s always recommended when you get sick. Garlic is great for soups and you can be added to almost any dish.
- Ginger. One of the best foods to aid in digestion. Ginger has anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. A great ingredient to add to many dishes and soups.
- Tumeric. The main ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. It’s found to have anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor and so much more. A must have spice in every home.
- Blueberries. Not just a delicious snack, blueberries are full of nutrients and antioxidants. They are known to help lower blood pressure, fight cancer and prevent Alzheimer’s among other things.
Foods to Avoid
- Most Fish. A lot of fish is known to contain high levels of mercury and possibly PCBs. Another problem with fish is due to the plastic problem in the ocean, they could also contain microplastics.
- Meat. The world health organisation has classified processed meats as carcinogenic due to possible contamination from all the anti-biotics and pesticides used in animal agriculture.
- Diary. Diary consumption has been linked to acne, asthma, heart disease and even cancer. The good news is there’s so many milk alternatives like almond, hemp and oat milk that are better for you.
- GMO Food. GM food are typically contaminated with pesticides and herbicides to help them withstand crop disease. The problem with eating such foods have been showed to do damage the liver and other organs. That’s why eating organic food that is free of GMO and pesticides is better for you. For more info on organic food, check out What’s The Difference Between Organic, Certified Organic and Natural?
The great benefits of a detox include better skin, more energy, bowel movements that are more regular and overall higher levels of performance and concentration. It will also help you to have more immunity from disease and less body aches and pain.
Taking into consideration all current knowledge, a detox is a natural process that can help unburden your body’s toxic load. If you want to change your body for the better, a detox is definitely the way to go.