Disclosure: The Organic Society accepts advertising, sponsorship, affiliate links and other forms of compensation, which may or may not influence the advertising content, topics or articles written on this site. Click here for more information.
Everyone wants to save money but no one wants to cut back on the things they enjoy. The best way is to cut back on expenses and those expenses are usually for things we need or things we enjoy. In reality, there are a lot of things we spend our money on that we think we need but aren’t necessary, like buying coffee everyday. Yeah we enjoy it, but is it necessary?
Saving money can be simple but it takes a bit of planning and sticking to a budget. Planning or budgeting is usually the simple part, it’s the sticking to the budget that is harder.
That’s why we’ve put this list together as a reminder, to help you with saving money today.
10 Simple Ways to Save Money Today
- Cut down on buying coffees. Yes, that’s right. Do you need to buy coffees everyday? Maybe you can bring it from home or make it at work. With the price of coffee these days and the amount you spend each day, you could easier save an extra $5 to $10 a day. That’s around $3,000 a year.
- Write a shopping list. When shopping, it’s always a good idea to prepare a list and take it with you. That way you only buy what you need when you’re and it helps you stick to a budget.
- Pack your lunch for work. This can easily save you anywhere from $20 plus a day. Just buy your food items when you do your shopping and pack your lunch the evening before or in the morning.
- Cook at home. Eating out once a week might not be too bad but if you find yourself spending more time eating out, it might be a problem. If you’ve done your shopping right, then cooking at home should be easy. If you can’t cook then invite a friend who can or learn to cook.
- Cancel unused memberships or subscriptions . This is so common for so many people, especially with gym memberships. To save money you must cancel unused memberships and unnecessary subscriptions that you don’t really need.
- Shop for specials. You never know what specials you can claim when you look for them. Yes, I’m sure you know this already so this will serve as a simple reminder. Shop for Specials.
- Use coupons or discounts codes. When shopping online or in person, keep an eye out for coupons or discount codes. You can do a google search to find them or you can shop on discount sites such as Groupon or Living Social for find them.
- Cancel unused bank accounts. If you’re one of those people that have a lot of different banks accounts, it might pay to work out which ones are worth keeping and which ones need to go. If you’re just paying fees to keep them open, it might be time to close them.
- Free Entertainment. This might be frugal but you’ll be surprised at all the free events going on in your area. Visit the museum or local art gallery, there is so such you can do for fun that won’t cost you a cent.
- Walk or ride a bike. The best way to save money on travel is to walk, it’s free plus it helps you stay fit. If you can’t walk or your prefer riding, then investing in a bike is the next best thing. Another plus for riding the bike is it’s good for you health and also the environment.
If you need some help with simple tips to save money, head over www.moneysmart.gov.au for a few tips and tools to help you start saving money today.
As always, if you have some tips or saving hacks you could share, please do share below.